The man suspected of carrying out an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, Monday that killed 22 people and injured 59 others was identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, police said today. Abedi died at the scene after using an improvised explosive device, officials said. Police are still trying to determine if he acted alone or was part of a group.
The suspect was originally identified as a 23-year-old male according to a source; police have now said the suspect was 22. Greater Manchester Police told reporters earlier that 23-year-old man was arrested in South Manchester in connection with the attack.
Greater Manchester Police are requesting dashcam footage from “anyone who was in Manchester city centre” between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. Monday night as part of their investigation. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the explosion. In a statement translated from Arabic, ISIS said that a “soldier of the caliphate” placed explosives at a gathering of “crusaders” — meaning Christians — at the Manchester Arena. The statement said about 30 people were killed and about 70 more were wounded.
The explosion is being treated as a terrorist attack, and U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May said the threat level remains at severe, meaning the government considers another attack highly likely. The severe level is the second highest of five, with critical the highest.